Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:15:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Thamer Al-Herbish <shadows@whitefang.com>
To:        "Min Huang (tunny)" <hmin@public.cq.sc.cn>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out-of-band? Protocal-RAW?

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Min Huang (tunny) wrote:

> Hi, Sir,
>
> These seems not FreeBSD Questions, but I hope I can get help from you.
> What's Out-Of-Band ? What's its use and usage? How does it work?
> What's Protocal-RAW, what's its use and useage, how does it work,
> why can only super-user use it? The FreeBSD 2.2.2 man pages didn't
> explain it.
>
> I'm looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Try man ip, or man raw or man udp or even man tcp. All of which describe how
to use the particular protocols in relation to the BSD socket API.

Only superuser can use raw sockets because they can be used to forge
arbritary TCP/IP packets (actually you can just forge packets period as long
as they look right to the kernel regardless of protocol).

If you have an interest in low level networking you may want to look at bpf
which allows you to capture network packets off the wire, and even write
them.

Other areas of interest is the source code to tcpdump, ping, and traceroute.

Thamer Al-Herbish                                      tmh@kuwait.net
UNIX Programmer                         Gulfnet Kuwait Floor 11, Al-Gas Tower.
Network Analyst                         Ahmad Al-Jabar St. Sharq, Kuwait.
[ For PGP key finger shadows@kuwait.net ]