Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:45:48 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Parrish Myers <parrish@engr.arizona.edu>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zip Drive

Doug White:
 |On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Parrish Myers wrote:
 |> mount /dev/sd0s1 /zip
 |> /dev/sd0s1 on /zip: Incorrect super block.
 |
 |Is this a UFS-formatted or a MSDOS-formatted disk?
 |
 |For MSDOS, you want to do:
 |
 |mount -t msdos /dev/sd0c /zip

Not exactly.  MSDOS disks are sliced.  By default, IOMEGA ZIP Disks come
formatted with the DOS FS slice on slice 4.  This will be the case for
ZIPTOOLS-reformatted disks as well.  So you want:

  mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s4 /zip

(assuming sd0, i.e. the ZIP is your first probed SCSI disk).

 |For UFS:
 |
 |mount /dev/sd0c /zip

This is what you want for UFS disks that are "dangerously dedicated".  If
you instead format your UFSs sliced like I prefer to, then use the slice
notation.  I put my ZIP UFSs on slice 1.  Makes it real easy to write a
safe, generic setuid "mountzip" script:

  mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s4 /zip || mount /dev/sd0s1 /zip

"df /zip" tells you right off what FS type you've got in case you forget.

Randall