Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:02:00 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Subject:   Re: I like my rc.d boot messages :(

On Thursday 24 July 2008 16:30:33 Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >>I like that. [ means processing has started, name is the service/script
> >>runnging, ] means processing of that script has completed.  All the info
> >>you need for multiple services, all on one line.
> >
> > simply another wiered outcome - not understandable btw same as this
> > mystical dot thing
> >
> > something more obvious would be:
> >
> > starting $service_name  ... up
> > starting $service_name  ... up
> >
> > that would be something clear, specially for whom did not invented it
>
> It seems too verbose. (does anybody expect "stoping" service on system
> boot?) And each service on separate line seems to me like vaste of space.
> Line like "[ssh] [smtp] [dhcpd] [mysql]" is enough for me.
> It is easy to document it in handbook and man pages.
>
> Just my 0.02

well, the obvious often is'nt :)=20
 for me it would be something like:

 starting $service_name  ... up
 starting $service_name  ... failed
 starting $service_name  ... up

what waste of space? running lines not buffered but in dmesg.*=20
anyway the waste of space is it worse as price for clearness

and as I said before what is clear for the inventor or for you and me is on=
e=20
thing but when you're supporting a remote server which is not coming up and=
=20
a "not-knowing-the-secret" person eventual in another language (not english=
=20
speaking) needs to say it ... well, then my friend, when this happens to yo=
u=20
then you will remember this thread and will bite your ass for not having=20
agreed ... :)

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o