Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 13:58:33 -0500
From:      "Tony Wells" <tony@camel.kdsi.net>
To:        "Lee Mark Mercado" <mercadolee@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: blocking IPs

Someone mentioned off-list that /etc/hosts.allow might be easier for a
newbie to setup, which I agree it is.  The problem is it only controls
access to services that are started by inetd.  If you wonder what those
services are check /etc/inetd.conf.  (Also a good starting place to enact a
security policy, turn off stuff you don't really need.)

If you want to control access to services not started by inetd a
firewall/packet filter is the best choice.  Getting one started can be a bit
daunting, the book from O'Reilly is pretty good.  Just remember if screw up
your firewall rules you can lock out net access to the box, so it's best to
be at a console when you're getting started.

Whichever you, chose good luck.