Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:22:16 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Liddell <shinjii@maydias.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kopete, kplayer, kdelibs etc

Warren Liddell wrote:
> I know there ar eknown issues about kopete and it being able to
> connect to MSN & Yahoo, im runnind KDE4 on AMD64 FreeBSD7.0-STABLE ..
> cvsupd today so all ports & SRC are upto date portupgrade done and yet
> kopete still refuses to connect to MSN or yahoo .. is the bug still on
> going or ?
>
> Since upgrading to KDE4 as well, kplayer refuses to run and i have had
> to goto VLC player to be able to watch vide files ... any reason why
> this would refuse to load ?
>
> When trying to re-compile things like Xchat and other various files
> that seem to be broken, i run into troubles with an error
> saying/mentioning kdelibs and QT .. excat error i couldnt say as i
> have now also lost complete internet access on the machine even though
> still able to communicate with the router and all other machines
> ironically running windows, seem to be running aok, so im trying to
> kill multiple birds using memory and booting from windows to FreeBSD etc
>
> At this point im frustrated enough to just fdisk the machine, and
> isntall everything from scratch with 7.0-STABLE & KDE4 .. so i ask for
> a lil assistance plz so as i can avoid having to do this drastic measure.

Maybe a long shot, but do you also have KDE3.5x installed on this machine?
While KDE4 and KDE3.5x can coexist, you have to make sure that
/usr/local/kde4/bin is in your path *before* /usr/local/bin.  Otherwise
you may get to run a "mixed" system with some files coming from kde4 and
others from 3.5, causing very weird problems (which I faced recently).