Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:48:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, BSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0 stable

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Is there an easy way to find out if there are still some a.out libs or
> binaries on a machine that has been 'transitioned' ?  One of my SMP
> machines during heavy load is rebooting without any warning.  In other
> words, is there a reccomended audit I could do on the machine to make sure
> the a.out-elf transition was done properly ?  It started out as a 3.0
> STABLE box from Dec.

My solutions (which wasn't efficient, but was pretty easy) was to do a
'find / -type f -exec file {} \; | grep executable | grep -V ELF'.  That
found all the aout executable.  You could modify it with egrep to find the
libs too.  I also removed most of my ports and reinstalled them.  Be
warned that this takes a long time (especialy on oldish IDE disks) since
you have to stat and open nearly every file on the system.

-- Brooks