Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 02:43:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        mjna@mail.telepac.pt, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, articles@daemonnews.org
Subject:   Re: Gartner on Linux and FreeBSD

> > I'm not sure if this has already been reported in the mailing list but
> > I just read this small Gartner Group report:
> >
> > "Divorcing Thin Server Software from the Hardware"
> > http://advisor.gartner.com/n_inbox/hotcontent/hc_2121999_3.html
>
> An excellent summary, with accurate viewpoints.  I don't agree with his
> summary; I fail to see how anyone is going to help their bottom line
> by trying to shoe-horn Winders NT into a "thin" server, but all in
> all this is a great article for FreeBSD.
>
> That's why I've cc'd Daemon News, so this can be added to the News Bytes.

The part I though was silly was the "Thin Server OS Recommendations"
table, specifically:

Thin Server Type      OS Choice		Reasoning
					Both provide open platform with
		      First: Linux	stable, relaiable TCP/IP stacks.
Intranet Thin Server  Second: FreeBSD	FreeBSD provides intellectual
					property protection.

Uh, am I missing something?

	"FreeBSD protects your intellectual property; use Linux
	 instead, because you don't want that for some strange
	 reason."

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---