Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:03:01 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
To:        backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: which xorg file??

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 09:12:08PM -0700, backyard wrote:

> --- Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:18:32PM +1000, Norberto
> > Meijome wrote:

> > standard
> > >
> > > not sure I follow your question...
> > > the xorg-server and xorg-clients ports will your
> > basic standard X files and apps
> > >
> > > xorg.conf doesn't sit in /usr/X11R6/bin, but
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> > 	It is in my /etc/X11 directory.
> >

> > > the configuration apps to generate xorg.conf are
> > xorgcfg and xorgconfig (one X
> > > based, the other text based)
> >

> > 	Yeah, but there is a way using X -conf[ig].  I've
> > forgotten the exact
> > 	details; but I have used both f the above
> > configuration tools
> > 	before.
>

> I believe its X -configure
> I've been reading through the complete freebsd in my
> "reading room" but admittadly it takes me a couple of
> stabs to get it right on a new system.

	Okay; thanks, I think you're right.  Also that you may
	need to cd / or cd /etc.  Or else "xorg.conf" will wind up
	<<wherever>>.  (it's been a few years since my last
	X -configure ... as is evident!)

> > > [betom@ayiin] [Mon Sep 18 12:17:46 2006]
> > > /usr/home/betom
> > > $ locate xorgcfg
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgcfg
> > > /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xorgcfg.1.gz
> > >
> > > [betom@ayiin] [Mon Sep 18 12:17:50 2006]
> > > /usr/home/betom
> > > $ locate xorgconfig
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgconfig
> > > /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xorgconfig.1.gz
> > >
> > > If that's not what you need...let us know :)
> >

> > 	I'm still looking for xdm; possibly startx too.
> > I'm making the
> > 	wm switch from ctwm to gone-lite ...  but first,
> > the basics
> > 	have to be there.
> >
> > 	gary
> >

> > --
> >    Gary Kline     kline@thought.org
> > www.thought.org     Public service Unix
> >

> the only way I know to populate /usr/X11R6/bin is by
> cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make && make install && make
> clean
>
> this will install the clients, libraries, documents,
> fonts, and basic X11R6 system. it will also clean up
> after itself.

	Then I've FINALLY begun installing the right package.
	About an hour ago.  Will see....

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix