Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:17:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Panic with fairly up to date -current, seems NFS related

On 18-Dec-00 Doug Barton wrote:
>       I built -current world and kernel around 3am PST sunday morning with up
> to date sources. Later that same day I added Poul-Henning's console
> logging patch. Just a few minutes ago I had a lockup and panic that
> thankfully produced a kernel core to work with. It looks like this is
> not related to phk's patch, but rather to an NFS issue that I've seen
> before. I was copying a 23M file over NFS (mounted via amd) when this
> lockup and panic happened.
>
>       My workstation is the NFS client, running -current. The NFS server is
> running FreeBSD 3.5.1-STABLE-1014 #0: Mon Oct 16 00:00:13 PDT 2000. If
> anyone wants me to do more debugging with this, let me know. I'm going
> out in a bit, but I will likely be available later tonight or tomorrow.
>
> Doug

Grog had a similar panic on IRC the other day:

>#7  0xc021c857 in nfs_msg (p=0x0, server=0xc0bf0cf2 "slave:/usr/home",
>     msg=0xc02ba748 "not responding") at

The 'p' parameter is a process that is supposed to be making the request, and
thus is going to receive a console message to its tty about the server going
away.  Note that 'p' is NULL.  This leads to a NULL dereference in tprintf().
The 'p' comes from some type of NFS request structure.  That is as far as I
could take it however..