Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:40:46 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Eugene Polovnikov <paranoid@brain-fag.org>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nos-tun & multihomed machines

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:50:26AM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> -On [20010316 10:43], Eugene Polovnikov (paranoid@brain-fag.org) wrote:

Hello, Engene!
Hope you are doing well!  :-)

> >Please, review the following PR:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=25847
> >
> >Same patch is in the attach.
>
> Just a question,
>
> the gif interface now part of the system does tunneling as well in as
> much the same way as nos-tun does.  Does gif work for the multihomed
> case?  [I'll otherwise when not getting any responses dig up the answer
> myself.]

Yes, gif(4) works the same way, and multihomed enabled (see gifconfig(8)),
with the exception that it always uses the IPPROTO_IPV4 (protocol 4) for
encapsulating of IPv4 payload.

> I ask this because it serves no purpose having an IPv4-only [as far as
> my knowledge goes] tunnel application, whilst we have a more flexible
> new solution present.

I fully agree.

> Translated, does gif do what nos-tun can do and more?  Yes?  Let's rip
> out nos-tun and support the other well maintained solution.

Except that it does not allow to use proto 94 (the default for nos-tun).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,