Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:34:34 GMT+0100
From:      "Kees Jan Koster" <Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOYO SY-30F2 blues

> > > boot -v reveals that both the SCSI and the VGA card use int# a. and
> > > occupy the same memory address. This is regardless of the settings I
> > > do in the bios (Award modular bios).
> >
> > It sounds like maybe the bios on the VGA card or the motherboard bios
> > are not doing the right thing with respect to memory space assignment.

Yes, that was my thought too. Any idea how to cure this? I looked
into /sys/pci/pci.c, but I could not figure out if it was possible to
make FreeBSD do the memory allocation, or manually setting the pci
parameters, such as int# and memory base. Could someone inform me
about this, please? Is it possible to manually configure pci devices?
There seems to be a pci_alloc() function, but the comment claims it's
not complete nor tested. That's scary :-( Would it make a difference
if I await the 2.1.5-release cdrom?

> I'm not sure about the 2xxx series, but the 3xxx  Diamond  Stealth  64
> are nice and fast controllers for FBSD/XFree86... once you figured out
> how to configure them.

I've been using a 2xxx series at SPaSE while I worked there: no
trouble at all.

> Make sure you are using the latest XFree86 3.1.2 beta release (I think
> it's 3.1.2e). Also try playing with  options  in  the  /etc/XF86Config
> file. I have had to explicitely specify the VRAM base address in  mine
> as follows (remember my card is a 3400):

I did ftp the 3.1.2e release for FreeBSD 2.1.0-release and played
around. The problem did not change. XFree86 would detect my chipset
and ram size correctly ... start ... display the familiar grey grid
... add the mouse cursor ... sometimes even an xterm or two ...
and hang the system, leaving the SCSI activity led burning (!)
This behaviour is the same with every server version I tried.

> Section "Device"
[...]
>     MemBase     0x8000000
Curious... I tried this option, but the membase reported did not
change...
[...]
> EndSection
>
> Note  that  the  address  will  probably  vary for your configuration.
> Actually  I picked up mine from what the demo Xaccel commercial server
> printed  at  startup. You might want to try it, I think it's available
> on www.xinside.com.

I'll try that later, thanks for the pointer.