Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:02:56 -0400
From:      Mike.Gruver1@firstunion.com
To:        GLBJ@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with nat

Gene,

I have a few questions and then a few suggestions.  How much memory on the 486?  And what is the processor size?
It appears that the amount of memory and processor size directly impact the speed you will get performing nat and packet
forwarding.  In my experience with FreeBSD I have not been successful with less than a pentium 90 and 40mb of memory.
Hard disk space doesn't seem to matter as long as you have enough for /var/temp.

Are you running firewall rules?  This takes CPU and memory.

The first thing I would suggest is upgrading to FreeBSD 4.1.  Then I would look at upgrading that server.  An old P90-P200 can be
had for about $50 bucks.  I am running mine headless so I don't need a monitor or keyboard.

My guess is it is not the DNS requests that are taking the time, it is the packet forwarding.  Therefore, setting up BIND or a NAMED cache
will only make things worse.  If you put the DNS server IPs in the Win98 boxs they aren't using your cache anyways.

If I have misstated something, someone please correct me.

Just my $.02,

mgruver@carolina.rr.com

<Gene wrote:>

I have a 486 running 3.4. It uses a PPPoE connection over a DSL
connection and runs nat. It's set up to forward any DNS requests to
the ISP. Whenever I run any application out over the Internet
directly from the FBSD box, response is rapid.However, whenever
an application from a Win98 box tries to acess the net, the
response is slower than molasses in January. I've tried setting up
bind on the FBSD box to no avail.

I suppose the first question is what info might I post here to aid in
the resolution of the problem?

thanks - Gene