Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 03:11:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        lray@aurora.liunet.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a large FreeBSD news server

		Hi again :),

> > 	what is expirience with running FreeBSD PCs as INND
> > 	servers with full news feed ? Is it capable of handling
> > 	the load ? Any IO/CPU limitations ?
>
>     I have the same questions, since I'm just starting out here.  My
> server will be going into full production mode within a few days (it's
> been running with about a dozen beta testers for a week now).
>
> > 	I run P6-200 here as news server - runs just fine, load
> > 	averages are ~0.3-0.5 , readers peak at ~200-300, total
> > 	of ~23.000 newsgroups in active, 3 days expire average,
> > 	370.000 - 420.000 inodes used in /usr/spool/uucp.
>
>     P133, 128 megabytes RAM, 3 NCR53c810 controllers and nine disks
> to be split up thusly (I don't have all the controllers plugged in
> yet):
>     At the moment, I have the news spool spread over two 2GB Quantum
> Atlas drives and a 4GB Quantum Grand Prix, running off a single
> Buslogics BT-946C controller.  It receives about 120,000 articles a
> day (900MB or so), with 20000 groups in the active file.  Only about
> 7000 of those actually have articles in them so far.  ;-)
>
>     I have the history database, the overview files and the
> alt.binaries spool on a single disk on the current machine, and that
> disk is getting hit pretty hard according to iostat.  That's being
> split across three spindles and three controllers in the production
> machine, so disk I/O should not be a problem.
>
>     A delayed expire run takes less than 5 minutes to generate the
> list of articles to delete, which fastrm processes in about 30
> minutes.  I expect that to rise once we get a hundred readers on it at
> once, and more articles to expire.
>
>     It seems INN is only spooling about 2 articles per second, peaking
> at around 5/sec for very short periods of time.  Perhaps this will
> improve once I'm using multiple controllers and more disks?

	It's interesting thing , actually ... I was trying to get some
	estimates on articles/sec rate. Folx at n.s.n say that it
	should indeed peak at 5 arts/sec for a decent feed, so I decided
	to check what an ftp rate would be on a local 10Mb LAN.

	I've tried it on FreeBSD <> FreeBSD ( P166 <> P6-200)
	Sun20 <> FreeBSD
	Sun20 <> Sun10
	LocalFreeBSD <> LocalFreeBSD

	with 100 small files(2K)  with prompt off.
	Guess what !
	It was steady (!!!) 100 files in 20 secs , or ~5 files/sec
	in ALL CASES.

	I've tried to do ftp to the same PC from 2 different machines
	at the same time. It took ~23 sec to upload 200 files (100
	from each PC).

	So it looks like for small articles/multiple feeds (and fast
	links :) the upper limit could be bigger than 5art/sec ( putting
	aside the difference " ftp versus nntp").

	Other thing is that on th eame link it will take ~0.25 sec
	to transfer single 200K file , and even less if the thing
	is compressed , so batched newsfeed  looks like reasonable
	alternative, especially for a stub news server, when one
	knows for sure that there won't be no "blanks" in the batch -
	I mean the articles the site already has.

	With multiple feeds the effective loss of the BW will be much
	bigger , especially if the server ( say, small ISP) will provide
	transit for the newsfeed from one major peer to another.
	Probably it has sense to inject only articles which were originated
	locally , but it's often not the point when all peers are
	equally interested in getting full newsfeed from each other trying
	to get news articles as fast as possible.

	Rashid