Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:27:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      alam <alam@shadow.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        alam@shadow.net
Subject:   PANIC: cannot mount root

Hello.

Near the end of boot, freebsd 2.1.5 displays the message

   "changing root device to sd2a"
   "panic: cannot mount root"

This is a new install onto my only scsi hard disk although the system has 2
other disks (ide with win95,linux partions and an older freebsd release).

I am booting the FreeBSD 2.1.5 through linux's lilo. It seems to
detect my hardware ok but when it tries to mount root, the above
error occurs. The only cards in the machine are an adaptec2940 PCI scsi
controller and a trident PCI video card. The motherboards ide
controllers are enabled since I boot (and run lilo) on my c: drive
which is IDE.

Can anyone help?

Art