Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:14:05 +0100
From:      Sven Hazejager <sven@hazejager.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial console not working in 7.2-p4 and 7.2-STABLE

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 18:52, Sven Hazejager <sven@hazejager.nl> wrote:
> I'm pulling my hair out on this one! Can't get the serial console to
> work with nanoBSD, either 7.2-p4 or 7-STABLE. A 8.0 nanoBSD image
> works fine (which I have not created myself). The symptom is that all
> kernel output goes to VGA. Whatever I do. This happens in VMware
> Player (where I actually see the VGA output) and on my ALIX
> (Soekris-like) board (which does not have a VGA card).

PROBLEM SOLVED!

In an attempt to minimize FreeBSD for nanoBSD I had WITHOUT_FORTH=true
in my /etc/src.conf. That apparently breaks the passing of boot flags
to the kernel, which causes the kernel to use the VGA output even
though boot.config has "-h" and console=comconsole in the loader.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Sven