Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:01:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux_base-7 and several Linux software (fwd)

Hello.

On new systems we try to install ports/linux_base-7 instead of
the outdated linux_base-6, but we ran into trouble with several
software products essential for desktop systems. Especially all
types of Netscape (4.78, 4.79 and Netscape 6.2) need several
parts of the older linux_base distribution and from there
mainly libstdc++... libraries.

The only way to get a working Netscape AND linux_base-7 is,
installing linux_base-6 first, then installing all suspicious
software (especially Netscape), deleting /compat/linux and
installing linux_base-7. But before deleting the old /compat/linux
I save/tar the libstdc++ libs located in usr/lib of the linuxulator
base and then untaring them in the new, 7-based usr/lib.

This works for netscape 4.78/4.79, StarOffice52 seems to be
invulnerable against the 'base-change' ...

Is this a problem of 'we are still on the way towards a completely
base-7 based FBSD 4.5' or is base-7 more development like
in FreeBSD 4.4?

We run Lahey's Fortran95 Linux Version 5.5 on our servers (also
VAST F90) and they seem to be immutable against the base-change ...

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)