Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 19:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        crb@ChrisBowman.com (Christopher R. Bowman)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

According to Christopher R. Bowman:
> At 07:10 AM 7/3/98 , Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> >I'd use the same language to teach an 11-year-old as a 19+ year old.
> >I'd preferably choose an interpreted language with fairly small and
> >regular syntax; TCL, Scheme or Eiffel (the last only if I could run a
> >'melting ice' environment) seem like good choices.
> >
> >[snip snip]
>
> Am I the only one who would teach people assembler as a first language,
> especially young children who are so bright and learn so quickly that they
> learn entire languages in a matter of a few years?

	I'm watching this discussion with considerable interest
	since my 32-month-old daughter is very interested in my
	computer.  So far she's learned virtually all the ASCII
	character set, and in another few years I think that
	she will be ready for much more.

	What's the consensus on BASIC? Or FORTRAN?  xcoral has
	a C interpreter that could be broken out... .

	Bright children really do absorb things quickly; just
	how quickly has amazed me no end!

	gary