Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 21:04:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        Casero@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux?

| Can you tell me what the difference is between free BSD and Linux?  They are
| both based upon Unix, so what is the distinction?

Actually, FreeBSD *is* Unix, adapted directly from the BSD 4.4 Lite version.
Linux is strictly a Unix emulator which has come into its own in the past two
years.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

For example, maximum Unix compatibility dictates using BSD Unix as opposed to
Linux, but Linux is acquiring a lot of industry support right now.  BSD tends
to handle high network loads without bogging down---something Linux has yet to
learn.  Linux, on the other hand, seems to make a zippier low-load machine, so
if you're just going to be using your machine for desktop stuff, it might run
faster with Linux.

To bridge the compatibility gap, however, FreeBSD supports Linux emulation.

There is (ideally) no religious war here.  There are things to like about both
systems.  I personally prefer the robustness and standarization of FreeBSD (and
its incredible ease-of-installation), but also like Linux for other reasons.
This didn't used to be the case---Linux, for a long time, had the flavor of
Tinkertoys and Scotch tape, but it's improved tremendously this past year.

My advice:  Try 'em both.