Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:14:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stunt Pope <markjr@shmOOze.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: superblock corrupted (is BROKEN_KEYNOARD_RESET still applicable?

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Stunt Pope wrote:

> We're running several PPro200's with freebsd-current 2.2.2. So far these
> boxes are in development, not end use. The load on the system is
> next to nothing. The hardware was purchased brand new about a month
> ago.
>
> Motherboard: ASUS KN97-X
> Chipset: Triton Intel 440FX PCIset

Okay; I assue you're not overclocking the PPro.

> All the boxes are using Seagate ST32272N SCSI hardrives, the scsi
> controller is an adaptec 2940.

Check.

> At any rate, someone used the "reboot" command to reboot the one server
> and it came back up with a "Insert System Disk" prompt. I.e. the boot
> sector was hosed, the superblock toast, or the BSD disklabel was gone.

Are these disks runing in dedicated mode or compatibility mode, i.e. do
they have a proper partition table?

> Today, on another machine, someone was logged in and ran the "df"
> command, at which point the machine rebooted and when it came back up
> the superblock was hosed and we had to run fsck manually in single-user
> mode.

We'd have to get a kernel dump on that one.  You might try setting up a
debugging kernel (compiled with -g) and use kgdb against the kernel dump
when it crashes.

> All this alarms me. It's is my first project using freeBSD and I'm not
> used to seeing superblocks get wasted for no good reason.

Me neither.  I assume you're keeping backups?

> I'm guessing there has to be something we can do, a la recompile the
> kernel with customized options, etc. Looking through the mailing list
> archives the closest symptoms I can find were references to setting
> BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET in the kernel. I think this might be what we're
> looking for. Anyone have any info regarding this or similar experiences?

I can't see how BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET would have anything to do with it;
it just controls how the system is restarted during a reboot.  I.e., if
your system sticks up at the `Rebooting...' on a shutdown, then you need
it.

I'd suggest checking termination on your SCSI bus just for good measure.