Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:00:09 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@interramp.com>
Subject:   Re: Permission denied

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, John W. Rasins wrote:

>One response has already alluded to what I think is the solution.  If you
>are trying to telnet in as root, initially the FreeBSD system is setup to
>not allow this.

?? It is?  I can log in as root and telnet out without any
problems - never had a "connection refused as a result of that.
That message occurs well before there's been any ident, and the
remote host otherwise has no idea of which account you are logged
in as; and it shouldn't care in any case. I certainly didn't
change anything to allow it, and my setup is very standard.

What FreeBSD *does* do is to disallow by default telneting INTO
it with the login name of root, and you'd at least see the login
prompt to type in the "root" login name before you get
disconnected. I don't think that this is the cause of the
"connection refused" messages. Sounds more like telnet has been
disabled on the remote system(s), or inetd isn't running, which
is exactly the result you'd expect in that case..

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn