Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:53:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      robdefriesse@mail.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't install FBSD on system with Promise ATA-100.

I recently acquired a Promise ATA-100 controller and an ATA-100
compatible hard drive.  I put these into an old computer that my
brother gave me.  I don't know much about the mobo except that it's a
233MHz PCI with an AMI BIOS and 32Mb mem.  It's fairly acient, though.

I connected the HD to the new controller (channel 1) and the CDROM to
the old IDE controller (channel 2) on the mobo.  Both are masters on
their respective channels.

I am unable to install FreeBSD 4.1.1.  I'm installing from a CD.  I
allocate about 15Gb to the FreeBSD slice and use the A (automatic)
option to assign partitions.  The partitions are:

ad4s2a:    50Mb  /
ad4s2b:    68Mb  swap
ad4s2e:    20Mb  /var
ad4s2f: 14255Mb  /usr

I get through the initial set of questions and sysinstall runs newfs.
However, it does not get through unpacking the tarballs.  The
diagnostic is terse, but here it is:

> panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
>
> syncing disk... 86 86 86 86 17 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
> done
> Uptime 8m15s
> Automatic reboot...

This occurs while unpacking the ports tarball.  At this point it goes
into the boot dialog.

I have had the install fail in another way.  I can't provide the exact
wording because it's hard to reproduce.  The gist of it is that while
it's unpacking a tarball, a form pops up indicating that a write has
failed.  The message includes the value -1 (which kinda makes sense,
this being unix and all.)

If I move the HD to the old IDE controller, I have no problem with
it.  FreeBSD installs without a hitch.

Could this be a problem with the combination of the Promise controller
and a large partition?

What do I do now?  Should I submit a bug report?  If so, is there any
way I can provide more information?  I would be grateful if someone
would tell me how to proceed.

Thank you,
Rob.