Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:15:11 -0700
From:      rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Naive networking question

I have attbi and I just pay the extra $2 or $3 per ip address.  I don't
use NAT as I want the redundancy of my machines.

They use DHCP only, but I've found that my IP address never changes, so
I can set up SSH, SSHD, and Freenet.  You need to manually add the entry
in /etc/hosts as DHCPD doesn't do this on its own, if you want to use
X11 forwarding or get rid of annoying messages everytime you start X.  I
have noticed that on accasion they change the default router and mask,
which means my SSH X11 forwarding slows down from 100MB/s (since it was
on the same subnet) to 256k/s.  One drawback is that they have no
reverse dns to your dhcp address, so if you use sendmail or qmail, your
mail might get bounced, but then thats all illegal in the TOS anyway.

I expect them at any time to set up a tiered service.  Rob.