Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:45:51 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
Cc:        williamsl@home.com, Sheepman <sheepman@mindcrash.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pidentd

>>Are the boxes that you're trying to ident on FreeBSD boxes or windows boxes
>>or mac boxes?
>>
>>>I encountered the similar problem myself - and asked around for solutions.
>>>I have come to the conclusion that there are _no_ identd implementations
>>>for FreeBSD that would support NAT/Masq'ed connections.  There are plenty
>>>of them for Linux, but they seem to use proc filesystem and are of no
>use..
>
>In my case, the NAT'ed box I want to ident is running Windows.  I don't see
>any difference which OS is installed there, however, as long as it is able
>to run an identd server.
>
>The obvious reason for this is (among other things) IRC.  It'd be nice to
>have an idented name+host. :)

If you're running windows boxen behind your FreeBSD server, then (at least
I think) the EASIEST way to solve your problem is to run IRC clients on
yoru windows boxen which contain identd servers to themselves.  This
includes the latest versions of mIRC.  You just need to search through the
settings and preferences and actually turn the option on.  I'm sure there
are others too, but that's the only one coming to mind right now.  That
takes care of the problem of extending your freebsd identd out to your
masq'ed boxes.

Also, a quick search of www.shareware.com came up with three Windows Identd
programs: kidentd, t-ide211, and widentd.  I've never used any of them (cuz
I don't irc through windows), but they're there, and the first two are
labeled as being "free".

Hope that helps you out.

Regards,
John