Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:17:53 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How does a port's Makefile check for PERL_THREADED in /etc/make.conf?

NOTE: would you please Cc: all replies back to me, as I'm not subscribed
to the FreeBSD-ports mailing list? Thanks a lot.

Once upon a time, there was a tiny FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE-p14 that happened
to have inherited a "PERL_THREADED = true" in its /etc/make.conf. While
that line had long ago disappeared from /etc/defaults/make.conf, the
/etc/make.conf was was still in effect when the system was rebuilt.

One sunshiny day, an Exim-3.33 port crossed its way, was invited for
dinner and died some minutes later.

An observer sent a pidgeon with a SEND-PR, and got help offered back
from Sheldon Hearn. Some letters exchanged later, they figured that Exim
must had died of acute PERL_THREADED poisoning.

Having found out that this was dangerous living, our FreeBSD got rid of
its PERL_THREADED=true, sought another Exim-3.33, invited it for dinner
and both became friends and lived happily ever after.

Reference: http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=29958
           some undisclosed personal mail has also been exchanged

What I'm saying is, don't build the Exim port on systems that use
PERL_THREADED.

What would be the canonical way for /usr/ports/mail/exim/Makefile to
check if PERL_THREADED is enabled and commit suicide if it is?

Any help appreciated, please Cc: replies to my address.

Thanks in advance.

--
Matthias Andree