Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:25:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tom Duffey <tduffey@wi.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   More detailed debugging info for Netfinity SMP lock

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.  This morning I upgraded the
system BIOS to the latest provided by IBM (v1.06) but still cannot boot
the system with an SMP enabled kernel.  However, I enabled the kernel
debugger and came up with the following:

stopped at	atkbd_isa_intr+0x19;	ret
stopped at	Xresume1+0x35:		cli
stopped at	Xresume1+0x36:		lock andl $-0x3,iactive
stopped at	Xresume1+0x3e:		pushl $0xc02e3140
stopped at	Xresume1+0x43:		call s_lock
stopped at	s_lock:			movel 0x4(%esp),$edx
stopped at	setlock:		movel %fs:0x94,%ecx
stopped at	setlock+0x7:		incl %ecx
stopped at	setlock+0x8:		movl $0,%eax
stopped at	setlock+0xd:		lock cmpxchgl %ecx,0(%edx)
panic: rslock: cpu: 1, addr 0xc02e3140, lock: 0x01000001
mp_lock = 01000003; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at	Debugger+0x34:		movb $0,in_Debugger,597
db>

I am not a kernel hacker so unfortunately I don't know where to go
next.  Is this information useful to anyone?  I realize this might be some
obscure problem since others claim to be doing SMP on similar Netfinity
machines.  So, should I continue to post debugging information to this
list or just forget about it?  The machine runs fine without SMP so I will
probably get by for the time being but it would be nice to hear whether or
not this issue is going to be looked at by someone and possibly fixed in
the future.  Once again, thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Tom Duffey