Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:51:39 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Corey C. Foegen" <cfoegen@angelfire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About free bsd

"Corey C. Foegen" writes:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
> We hope you would answer some questions we may have about Free BSD. It
> sounds like a great product and we would like some clarity.

Its my guess you didn't know questions@freebsd.org address posted on the
web site was actually a mailing list going to thousands of people. An
Apple Computer employee got tripped by that one too.

> We are presently running Windows 98 as well as other MS product
> software. Being an operating system, would Free BSD replace Windows,
> supplement or otherwise be found as a replacement for the DOS.

FreeBSD is a Unix-like OS. DOS is not. While FreeBSD has some ability
to emulate DOS and/or Windows, it is neither.

> Another question would be how greatly improved will security be from
> hackers (we were hit once before)? And if not,would you have any
> recommendations for security and fire wall?

As a general rule attacks which work against Windows do not work
against FreeBSD because FreeBSD is not Windows and is not Windows
compatible.

We (the users of FreeBSD) believe it is more secure than Win9x, NT, or
2000.

The ultimate question is "what do you want to do with a computer?" In a
reversal the past 5 or 10 years it is now cheaper (cash out of pocket)
to run a Unix-like OS than anything else. You won't be running Microsoft
Office any time soon under Linux (a not-as-good-as-FreeBSD alternative
to FreeBSD) but the $100 Applixware package is awfully good. Maybe
better than MS-Office simply because it doesn't have cupholders and
fairings.

If you want to play the latest games, then you have to stick with a
game OS such as those Microsoft sells.

> And the final question- if we decide to persue with Free BSD, could
> you tell us the price for the CDROM (we have a Creative Labs 8X CDROM
> drive) and to whom we can send a check as well as the time expected
> time frame for delivery?

http://www.cdrom.com/ has the answers. $39.95 for one, $24.95 if you
"subscribe" to 3 or 4 sets per year. Plus $5 S/H. They take credit cards
too. Plus you can download and use a copy for free. And make as many
copies of that as you need. But keep in mind that its purchase of
CDROM's, shirts, jackets, stickers, stuffed daemon plushies, etc., which
pay for hosting FreeBSD on the 'net, for much of the development
hardware, and for some of the salaries of those who work full time on
FreeBSD.

Somewhere among http://www.cdrom.com/ and http://www.freebsdmall.com/
there is an order item for donations to FreeBSD Inc., a not-for-profit
corporation: http://www.freebsdmall.com/donate/

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net