Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:07:27 -0500
From:      Loren Thiel <thiel@genevaonline.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Making a new kernel

So is making your own custom kernel a wise thing to do being a newbie?

I've seen lots of documentation on how to do it...and what all the options
do in the kernel source.  (/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC)(there is some .lint file
or something too)
I've even modified my own kernel...however it didn't correctly compile...
since then, I've reinstalled...and I can't download the source again
because my ppp isn't working yet. (If anyone would like to help me with
that I'd appreciate it...using kernel ppp, I guess its called)

I understand a custom kernel is not nessarry, but doesn't it make your
computer boot faster, and use less memory for the kernel because you've
eliminated support for devices you don't have?  I also have 32megs of
ram...but the kernel only sees 16megs...will making a new kernel fix this
also?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that adding support for your
sound card requires making a new kernel?

Thanks,

Loren Thiel
thiel@genevaonline.com
ICQ: 1117658