Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 12:43:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sam Brown <root@ns2.clever.net>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
Cc:        Bob Loftus <bobster@primenet.com>, "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@BSDI.COM
Subject:   Re: Adaptec2940UW vs. BusLogicBT-958 (opinions?)

I've yet to quite understand why with all the problems induced with one
large scsi-bus You would want wide/fast. Consider: The NCR PCI SCSI
(ncr53C810) costs $45/qty 1, this is not a symbios clone, but a real ncr
chip. We usually start with two , one per spindle, and the io transfers
are multiplexed more than the ability of the same two drives on one card.
Most noticable during fscheck's during boot. Also a scsi-bus hang, if one
ever occurs, doesn't kill the primary drive either. I can't imagine why
one would go out of the way to spend a ton of more money on a non-raid
controller running wide/ultra. When you still have the weak link of the
single controller card and single scsi-cable to impede your reliability.