Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:00:47 +0800
From:      "Paul King" <paulk@ether.online.sh.cn>
To:        "sohel" <sohel@southwind.net>, <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   =?gb2312?B?u9i4tDogTkUyMDAwIG5ldHdvcmsgQ2FyZCEhIQ==?=

-----Original Message-----
发件人: sohel <sohel@southwind.net>
收件人: hardware@FreeBSD.org <hardware@FreeBSD.org>
日期: 1998年6月23日 7:37
主题: NE2000 network Card!!!

>Hi all,
>
>I just got another machine and wants to install freebsd on it. Now i
>have couple of NIC's lying around and want to use them on the machine
>with freebsd. One is a generic NE2000 clone and the other is linksys
>ether16 card. Now Would NE2000 cards work with freebsd? How can i set

NE2000 will work with FreeBSD, But if ur card is a plug and play card, i
suggest u to disable the PnP feature. The FreeBSD kernel default use IRQ 10,
Port 280 and IRQ 5 Port 300, please set u card IRQ and Port as these.

>them up? Do i need to compile a new kernel? Can i pass some parameters

If u set such IRQ and Port, no kernel compile need.

>at boot time? Is there anything special i can do at the time of
>installation so that the Nic can be recognized?

if u do NOT set parament as we mentioned, Pls set the parament in the first
step of setup.

>Also is it possible to use SAMBA on FreeBsd so that i can see files on
>win95+NT machines on a network? I know some of my friends use
>linux+Samba and integrated their machine with win95+NT. Can i do the
>same on Freebsd?

YES, Samba Work well in FREEBSD, but u should disable Security Auth. of NT
or New version of Win95 (win97 or win98)