Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:45:09 -0400
From:      DocSource1@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System Crash a la SCSI Timeouts

Hi!  I just got FreeBSD 2.1.5, I am a longtime Linux user, but I am beginning
to see that FreeBSD is -alot- better.  Anyways, my question/problem is, that
I randomly get SCSI timeouts, and because of the timeout, the system freezes.
 My BSD system is an i386, 8mb RAM, Adaptec AT (Compatilble with the 154x
Driver), plus a couple of retired Mac hard-drives, plus a couple of IDEs.  I
have experienced this -exact- problem with an Always IN-2000 controller (on
another 386) and it only happens with Linux & FreeBSD. Coherent, DOS, Win95,
and AIX seem to not have this problem.
Is there anything I can do to stop these freezes (the HD light stays on
steady) and avoid having to power down the system?  I did see a kernel option
for TUNE_1542 but was not sure if it would help.  I want to try to avoid
getting new hardware, cause that 386 just isn't worth it. 2nd, smaller
question, how can I get the screen cleared for each login prompt (via getty
or ?) on a Wyse 60 Terminal?  I got it to work on my console with adding a ^L
to the getty, no luck with the Wy60.

Thank you very much!
Todd Holmes, MIS Manager
Precise Reprographics