Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 22:38:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        y u r i k <koroby398@ifrance.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie needs advice

It sounds like I am very much similar in terms of computer experience.  I
was a Windows user all through high school and some in college but after
one class on PowerPC computers I decided I was much happier using a
Mac.  So I stopped using Microsoft tools for just about everything.

Eventually once college was over I took a job which stuck me in front of
a couple very nicely built and configured FreeBSD servers.  I had to
administer them and I learned as I went.  I found that the FreeBSD website
was very helpful in most daily tasks as I relied almost entirely on the
website for help with these systems.  I drew further support for systems
like DNS, Sendmail, and other common services from O'Reilly books, which I
highly recommend.  I would be lost without them.

After about a years experience with FreeBSD the Linux movement was
swelling and talk of hardware vendors jumping on the bandwagon encouraged
me to look at Linux.  I installed SuSE, Redhat and Caldera.  I tried each
one for a while but found that these more commercial products were not as
helpful as the less commercial FreeBSD.  When I wanted to do an update for
my Caldera distro, I was only aware of one ftp server where I could get
RPM update files.  I would run the updates and frequently the ftp server
would go offline and make it hard for me to continue with my updates.

I am not sure if Caldera is trying to encourage me to go get a new CD
each time I upgrade my system, and I do not care.  Their service was
horrible and it was largely the same with SuSE.  Redhat I simply had
problems with in general and did not give much time to it.

So now I have stopped exploring Linux and now only use FreeBSD for my
server systems.  At home I have an iMac running OS 9 on a network which is
fed by a DSL connection to the internet.  I have a FreeBSD box acting as a
firewall and Network Address Translator.

It works great and it is very easy for me to keep running smoothly.  And
with each new release of FreeBSD it keeps getting even easier.  And this
list is also very helpful when the answer is hard to find on a FreeBSD
website.

But if you are really new to Unix in general, Linux may be a good
solution.  There is a frustration level with FreeBSD that you have to get
passed.  It's focus is on the server side, not the desktop as it is for
Linux.  It does not autodetect your video and sound card and that can be
difficult to set up in FreeBSD if you have not done it before.

With Linux it seems to get the video and sound working rather easily and
you are all set to go.  After learning enough in the Linux world, you
could transition to FreeBSD more easily as you will be comfortable with a
half graphical/half command-line system.

I am comfortable with FreeBSD because my initial experience with computers
was DOS.  If you come from something like Windows95 and never used the
command-line, you may not be very happy with FreeBSD at all.

It may take some time to adjust, but if you have the time like you said,
go ahead and dig it.  It is a very nice system once you get to know it.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?