Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 22:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Time to upgrade---but not all at once.

It's time to upgrade my trusty FreeBSD box.  But I really want to do this in
stages, and I'd like some opinions on hardware, since I've been a bit out of
touch with that this last year or so.

I'd like to be running 3.2-RELEASE (I'm currently still running 2.2.1-RELEASE).
So here's the sequence I'm thinking about following:

	Upgrade my Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller to something else.

		I was thinking of the 2940UW, but now I see that Ultra2 SCSI
		LVD (whatever that is) has come out, so should I be considering
		the 2940U2W instead?  And does FreeBSD support that yet?
		(Wasn't clear from the 3.2 release notes.)

	Upgrade my 2GB IBM drive to a 9GB (or larger) drive.

		I'm *really* behind on drives.  What do y'all like at the
		moment?  I'm leaning toward another IBM drive, but Quantum has
		also always been pretty good to me.  Any preferences out there?

That's what I'd like to do first.  Next, I should be looking at the
motherboard/CPU combination:

	Upgrade my dual-processor Tyan Tomcat II to a dual-processor Pentium II
	board, with a 100MHz PCI bus.  I could be talked into a dual P-III
	board, but I really would prefer to boycott the Intel ID thing.

		I know hardly anything about motherboards anymore, but I really
		liked the Tyan I got.  I'm leaning toward the Tyan Tiger 100
		(S1832DL), which supports dual P-IIs *or* P-IIIs up to 550MHz,
		five PCI slots, two ISA slots, a 32-bit AGP slow, and 100MHz
		SDRAM support.  Is there anyone out there using these in their
		FreeBSD box?  If not, what do you prefer?

	Upgrade the RAM to 128MB.

		This I think I can handle.

	Upgrade the video card from my Matrox Millenium to something else.

		I'm *way* behind on this, and on X in general.  Is anyone using
		OpenGL on their system?  If so, what video cards are you using?
		Anybody using the Matrox Millenium G200?

And finally:

	Upgrade the 3Com 3C900 10Mb/s ethernet card I have to something
	100BaseT.

		Again, 'way behind on these.  Anyone using the 3C905B-TX?

Does this sound like a reasonable sequence of events?

I'll be happy to summarize recommendations (both hardware, on places to shop)
to the list.  Looking forward to a prompt response (I'd like to start upgrades
next week). . . .

							---Ken