Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 07:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        malte.lance@gmx.net, reilly@zeta.org.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jgrosch@mooseriver.com, shocking@prth.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: Fast FFT routines with source?

>  > No, Numerical Recipes is not even a little bit optimised, and
>  > although the Fortran version is OK, the C version is horrible,
>  > being a translitteration from the Fortran version, for the most
>  > part.  The hackery to get Fortran-style offset-1 array indexing is
>  > particularly nasty.
>
> Had the same feelings abouot NR. More of an recipe "how to write a
> fft (... and introduce maximal confusion by strange indexing)".

Code samples (yes, they are samples, I never use them as they are) in NR
are horrible, but no other book could beat NR on explaining how an
algorithm works (have you read the FFT section in Sedgewick's Algorithms?
Instead of explaining how *FFT* works, it tries to explain what are
roots of unity, does that belong to a high school Algebra book?)

-lq