Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:06:50 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Vlad Martynov <vlad@san.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stock ftpd

In message <20011130182915.A73088@ns.san.ru>, Vlad Martynov writes:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:16:11AM -0600, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> > 	I am asking this question just to be safe.  Is the ftp
> > daemon which is part of the normal FreeBSD distribution based on
> > wuftpd?  In other words, my ftp server identifies as
> >
> > 220 hostname FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
> >
> > 	Do I need to replace it?
> Yes. Use /usr/ports/ftp/wu-ftpd or /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd.

Both of these ftp daemons have had security advisories published about
them.  Wu-ftpd usually has an advisory published about it about once
every four months.  If you're concerned about security, wu-ftpd is
especially the one not to use.

I can't even recall when an advisory was last published about the BSD
ftpd.  Was there even one?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC