Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:46:40 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 as SOHO firewall, gateway -- STABLE?

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I have been watching this list and I have not seen much talk about the
> stability of FreeBSD 5.0 (RELENG_5_0) or of its use as a server?  I=20
> did see
> that some people have upgraded their 4.7 servers to 5.0.  Can anybody=20
> relate
> their experience with the OS release?  I am looking for cases in=20
> particular
> for SOHO firewall/gateway environments.  I have been waiting for Java=20
> and it
> looks as if this release just might offer the features I need.

For various reasons, 5.0 is not recommended if you are not willing to=20
put up with downtime and possible loss of data (as in, much more than=20
usual). On the other hand, if you _are_ willing to reinstall everything=20
now and then, you might use it.

I have it installed on a firewall on a cluster, and I'm now trying to=20
use it for bastion host, where it's mac features can be put to good use.

A question you must ask yourself, though, is if 5.0 offers any feature=20
you need that 4.7 doesn't. As far as I know, Java doesn't have any=20
special benefits on 5.0, because the multithread library is still the=20
same. I might be wrong, but... <shrug>

As for firewalls, I don't really see a need. I can't think of any=20
feature of use to a firewall that is present on 5.0 but not on 4.7. The=20
reason I run 5.0 on one of my firewalls is so I can help catch bugs.=20
Anything untowards happens and I can just turn it off. Moreover, I can=20
reboot it with 4.7 if I really need (a separate disk).

--=20
Daniel C. Sobral
Ger=EAncia de Opera=E7=F5es
Divis=E3o de Comunica=E7=E3o de Dados
Coordena=E7=E3o de Seguran=E7a
TCO
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail:	Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br
	Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br
	dcs@tcoip.com.br