Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 21:04:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?= <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Chinese/Korean liasions wanted

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?= wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> You may have noticed the /usr/ports/japanese directory grow into a
> pretty impressive heap recently, with a lot of help from my friends in
> Japan (especially Nobuhiro Yasutomi) who send me ports of various
> packages.  This is good.
>
> However, Japanese isn't the only language that requires special
> treatment, and we're severely lacking support for the other two of the
> so-called "CKJ" major multi-byte languages.  This is bad.
>
> Also, one of the intentions of making the /usr/ports/japanese was to
> eventually have /usr/ports/chinese and /usr/ports/korean develop
> alongside it.  This is exciting.

	Totally agree with you :-)

> Right now, the only program that I'm aware of that understands Chinese
> or Korean in the ports tree is mule, and it is also a pretty crippled
> version due to my virtually non-existent knowledge of the respective
> languages.  This is sad.

	That's true.

> So, we need help.  If any of you have a FreeBSD-2.0 or later machine,
> and use those languages on your computer (or at least speak them ;)
> regularly, please contact me.  I'd like to have at least one person
> for each of Korean, Traditional (Taiwan/HK) Chinese and Simplified
> (Mainland) Chinese (sorry, don't even know how to call them...can I
> just say Big5 and GB?).  Of course, having more people will only
> help....

	Ok, I speak and use Chinese (Cantonese).  The characters are the
same for both Cantonese and Mandarin except Taiwanese may be somewhat
different.  Big5 is more or less of the standard.  So I can offer the
help for Chinese.

> Also, if somebody is interesting in supporting other languages, you
> are very welcome too.  Andrey Chernov (ache) has already done a lot of
> work to make lots of system software 8-bit clean, so European language
> users shouldn't need too much work (or so I believe).
>
> Thanks....
>
> Satoshi
>
> P.S. For Traditional Chinese, there is an ftp site
>      (netbsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw:/pub/packages-jdli/source) that already
>      carries some stuff we can use, so check it out.

	Actually, the correct site is (ifcss.org:/software) and for
CXTerm, it's (ftp.cs.purdue.edu:/pub/ygz)...

Cheers,
Vince
vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering