Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:48:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <rif@ns.kconline.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gated configuration

I recently upgraded my system to 2.2-Alpha and was more or less forced to
start using Gated because routed just wasn't working anymore with my
virtual hosts.

I have a 3 Com ethernet card which is ep0, this card has several virtual
hosts ip's one it.  Everything is working well with that, as the default
route is the ethernet card and the gateway is localhost.  However, when I
log in via PPP from home, it makes tun0 the default gateway.  What I would
like gated to do, is keep ep0/localhost the default gateway no matter
what.

I am unsure if this is because of the lack of a configuration file for
gated, or because of the way my ppp.linkup file is set up.  My ppp.linkup
file looks like this, which appears it may be the culprit:
MYADDR:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

I have tried setting it like this, and it still overwrites my default
route.

 add 207.51.167.252 0 HISADDR

Basically, I want to keep the tun0 device from becoming the default route.
I don't know enough about adding/deleting routes to play around with these
numbers and make it work.

A little background info:  to enter ppp, I am just having it run ppp
-direct and making sure I give the ifaddr line on the client.

In the end, I would like to have ip's 207.51.167.252 and 207.51.167.253 go
threw tun0 to my computer here at home, and then anything else (besides
localhost) go through ep0.  This I did have working well with routed under
2.1.5, but with Gated, it just likes to overwrite my default route.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim