Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:55:56 +0100
From:      Daniel Hartmeier <dhartmei@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISDN4BSD / ihfc0 in NT-mode setup

I'm running ISDN4BSD 1.6.1 on FreeBSD 7 (-current) with a HFC-based PCI
card:

  ihfc0: <HFC-2BDS0 128K PCI ISDN adapter> port 0xd000-0xd007
         mem 0xee024000-0xee0240ff irq 12 at device 6.0 on pci2
  ihfc0: Attaching I4B controller 0.
  ihfc0: Creating /dev/ihfc0.X.

The card is connected to one of the two phone ports of a Swiss
Telecom NT-BA 1, using a crossover cable (3-4, 4-3, 5-6, 6-7) without
resistors (I'm assuming the NT-BA provides power and termination,
correct?).

On the second port of the NT-BA I connected a standard Swiss ISDN phone,
using a straight cable. The phone gets power through the NT-BA fine. The
phone has MSN "1" configured.

Then I set up NT-mode using

  # isdnconfig -u 0 -p DRVR_DSS1_P2P_NT -n -a
  # isdnconfig
  controller 0 = {
    Layer 1:
      description : HFC-2BDS0 128K PCI ISDN adapter
      type        : passive ISDN (Basic Rate, 2xB)
      channels    : 0x3
      serial      : 0xabcd
      power_save  : on
      dialtone    : enabled
      attached    : yes
      PH-state    : G3: Active
    Layer 2:
      driver_type : DRVR_DSS1_P2P_NT
  }

When running isdntrace, I see L1 state changes (when I run isdnconfig
-D/-a), but nothing else:

  # isdntrace -u 0 -b -i

  =========== isdntrace controller #0 =========== started Wed Nov  8 13:42:13 2006

  -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:17.781261 ----------------
  L1 STATE: G4: Pending deactivation

  -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:17.797972 ----------------
  L1 STATE: G1: Deactive

  -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:19.859513 ----------------
  L1 STATE: G2: Pending activation

  -- TE->NT - unit:00 --------------- time:08.11 13:42:19.863266 ----------------
  L1 STATE: G3: Active

I tried to use isndphone to dial "1", but nothing happened (stuck in
"state: DIALING", no trace output, ISDN phone shows no activity).

When I use the ISDN phone to dial any number, nothing happens, either, and
the phone shows "No connection", no trace output.

Is my assumption wrong that I should be able to dial the ISDN phone from
the FreeBSD box and vice-versa in this setup?

If that should work, does the above output indicate a problem with the
cabling? Unplugging the crossover cable doesn't even produce an isdntrace
output, should it?

Or did I configure the controller wrongly? I'm not sure whether I need
DRVR_DSS1_P2P_NT or something else, or whether isdndebug -T and/or -p must
be used specifically.

Can any of the existing isdn*(8) tools be used to test this setup?

Daniel