Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:51:19 +1100
From:      "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nologin hole?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 07:18:55AM +0300, ??????? ?????????? wrote:

> 1. In case of breaking this script user has root access to system.    (See man
> sh, key -p )

The -p option doesn't magically grant root privileges. It simply tells the
shell not to use environment variables and ~/.profile.

> PS:on FreeBSD v.4.1 ps -x not viewed programms, thats
> running code function Exit(), called from atexit(Exit).
> It Bug ? I used top command for view PID NoLogin.

I can't reproduce this on -CURRENT.

What I can't figure out is why /sbin/nologin is a shell script at all, and
not something like this:

#include <unistd.h>
#include <sysexits.h>

int main (void)
{
#define MSG "This account is currently not available.\n"
	write (STDERR_FILENO, MSG, sizeof(MSG) - 1);
	exit (EX_UNAVAILABLE);
}

It seems wasteful and possibly dangerous to start a shell.

Tim