Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:06:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        simonr@roland.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD as a web server

On 11-Aug-98 simonr@roland.co.uk wrote:
> I was recently recommended to run an apache web server  on BSD UNIX so that
> we could host our own web site. I want to know if FreeBSD is BSD or if it is
> a cut down version of a BSD version that is for sale. If it is, would it be
> suitable to base a web server such as apache on? We currently get hits on
> our site approximately every two-three minutes. We would be running it on a
> dual pentium II 333 MHz with 256-512 Mb ram and a RAID controller
> controlling3-4 hard drives.

FreeBSD is an independant continuation of the BSD project.  As the name
suggests, it is *free*.  You may download it from http://www.freebsd.org
Information is availible on that site that explains the history of FreeBSD, and
how to set it up.

If you would prefer, you can purchase FreeBSD on CD-ROM. See
http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/freebsd.htm

It is very much suited as a web server.  Yahoo is a FreeBSD site, as well as
Pair.com (largest independent web hosting service). Apache runs quite well.
Furthermore, many add-ons availible to Apache will work on FreeBSD.

That machine you will be putting it on will require FreeBSD-current to use the
dual processors (SMP).  It is the cutting-edge development system.  It will be
released as FreeBSD 3.0 on or about October 15th.  Overall, with hits every 2-3
minutes, this machine is overkill.  A machine of that size could host many
sites.  The critical matter is the connection speed to the net.  Unless you are
serving huge amounts of information, a old Pentium-200 with about 128 Megs
RAM would handle it nicely.  One of our sites is hosted on a Pentium II 266 Mhz
(512Kb cache), 128Mb RAM, 5.8Gb total disk.  It handles 250 sites, and the load
is only:
 9:05AM  up 189 days, 22 hrs, 12 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.17, 0.15

Patrick Gardella