Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 23:06:30 -0700
From:      Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk@easystreet.com>
To:        douglas@artswire.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD - Console Message Question

Douglas Cohen wrote:

> I'm running ipfw with natd, connecting my RFC 1918 LAN to the Internet.
>
> The ipfw rules only allow internal LAN users access to external Internet
> services (email, http, telnet, dns, passive mode ftp).
>
> Everything seems to be working fine, except that the following natd message
> keeps appearing on the console:
>
>      natd[173]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)
>
> I understand about failing to write the packet back, but what does [173]
> signify in terms of natd?  (looking in the services file,
> xyplex-mux is assigned to port 173, which somehow doesn't seem
> relevant).
>
> The natd configuration is:
>
>     -use_sockets -same_ports -unregistered_only -dynamic
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> Doug

I had these same messages from natd. They were always accompanied
by log messages from ipfw. That's because I log everything I deny.

In my case the source of the packets was from the rwho daemon.
For some reason the natd message was coming out when my ipfw
rules dropped the packet.

I got tired of seeing the messages and I fixed this by changing my
natd lines in /etc/rc.firewall to the following two, ie I prefixed
the divert command:

 $fwcmd add deny udp from any who to any who via ${natd_interface}
 $fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via ${natd_interface}

This ordering keeps the rwho packet from ever getting to natd.
In any case it got rid of my "noisy" natd output.