Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:17:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, jwd@unx.sas.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd: realloc/free bug

    I seem to recall linux returning the time remaining a long time ago, but
    I think they ripped it out.  I don't have a linux box handy to test the
    linux current kernel.

    I definitely think it's a mistake to change select()'s timeout operation,
    too many programs pre-set the timeval and assume it will not be changed
    on multiple calls to select().  If we were to implement a returned-time it
    would have to be with a new system call.

						-Matt

:
:In message <199812110659.WAA35073@apollo.backplane.com> Matthew Dillon writes:
:: :By the way, from man select(2):
:: :
:: :  BUGS
:: :     select() should probably return the time remaining from the original
:: :     timeout, if any, by modifying the time value in place.  This may be im-
:: :     plemented in future versions of the system.  Thus, it is unwise to assume
:: :     that the timeout value will be unmodified by the select() call.
:: :
:: :Is this ever going to be implemented? I think this warning's been
:: :around for at least 10 years now..
:
:No.  It breaks too many things.
:
:Warner
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)