Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:26:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gary Hampton  <garyh@discover-net.net>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 3.3.1 with FreeBSD 2.2.5

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> Gary Hampton wrote:
> >
> > I installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 off the Wlnut Creek CDROM but I can't get
> > XFree86 to run unless I have my ppp line up. I get the following error:
> >
> > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
> >
> > waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
> > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
> > ..
> > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
> > .._XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
> > _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> > _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for tcp
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Failed to establish all listening sockets
> >
> > On bootup I get lo0 no such device errors.
>
> Hmmm, this is just a hunch, but:
>
> Have you by any chance deleted "pseudo-device loop" from your kernel
> config? Have you deleted the lo0 ifconfig settings from /etc/rc.conf?
> What does netstat -in gives when your ppp link is not active???
I never Re-compiled my kernel I am using the kernel right off the CD-ROM
and I reall haven't done anything with my /etc/rc.conf. and what I posted
here is what I got when the ppp link wasn't active. and I have this in my
/etc/rc.conf file

network_interfaces="lo0"        # List of network interfaces (lo0 is
loopback).
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"   # default loopback device configuration.

I get these errors with starx, xinit and with xdm.