Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:12:26 -0500
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ksh93?

I have been using the BSDI version for a long time now (2 - 3 years)
and I have not had any problems with it.  I would be interested in
a native FreeBSD version and how much faster it would run.

pirzyk@amigo:~
1>file /bin/ksh
/bin/ksh: BSD/OS i386 compact demand paged executable not stripped

- Jim

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Thomas Stephens wrote:
>If anyone else interested in ksh, it has been officially ported to Linux,
>and a BSD/OS 4.0 port is in the works.  The fact that binaries for
>supported platforms (including Linux) are available at no charge from
>AT&T (www.kornshell.com) suggests sufficient demand might persuade them
>port it to FreeBSD.
>
>Regarding the other options, I am aware of pdksh and bash, but both are
>somewhat non-standard (especially bash).  There is also CDE (which
>includes ksh93), but I'm not aware of any FreeBSD versions (it also
>seems a bit excessive to buy the entire CDE just for ksh).
>
>At any rate, I am wondering if anyone knows of a port of ksh93 to
>FreeBSD (as part of CDE or otherwise), and would also be interested in
>knowing the level of demand there is among FreeBSD users for this shell.
>Am I unique in wanting it?
>
>Regards
>Thomas Stephens
>tas@stephens.org

--- @(#) $Id: dot.signature,v 1.4 1999/02/03 17:05:58 pirzyk Exp $
System Administrator, Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida          _'\<,_
at Disney MGM Studios                                               (*)/ (*)