Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:53:26 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Preston Hagar" <prestonh@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Low-cost dedicated FreeBSD server or non-jail VPS?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Preston Hagar" <prestonh@gmail.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 11:02 AM

> On 2/10/07, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

Speakeasy
> only had the ability to submit trouble tickets and escalate them (common
> all third party providers in our area).  Although we screamed and shouted
> and threatened lawsuits (the customer was a law firm), there was nothing
> Speakeasy could do.  I was then informed that if we had a T1, regulations
> would require a 24 hour response time, but since this was "only" Business
> DSL without a SLA (service level agreement), that it could be a week or
two
> before they got someone to check it out at the CO.
>
> Long story short, they were out for a week.  Finally it was fixed.  We
> learned then and there that although they may call it Business class DSL
and
> although the company you write your check to every month may have a
stellar
> customer service record, if there is a problem in the last mile or at the
> CO, then you are at the mercy of whatever major telco owns your lines, and
> that if you do not have a T1 or higher, or at least DSL service with a
SLA,
> then you are treated no better that a residential customer in terms of
> returning you back to service (could be 1-2 weeks).

I hate to spoil your rant, (it's a great rant, by the way) but I've been
dealing
with Verizon for years.  What Speakeasy told you wasn't true.  Yes, Verizon
has an extensive trouble ticket system and they tell all their ISPs that
they have to
use it.  However, Verizon also has a secret set of phone numbers that are
direct lines to the support techs.  (and no, I ain't giving you or anyone
those
numbers)  For example I just had a situation like that last week - customer
DSL line problem.  I submitted the trouble ticket then called Verizon with
the
ticket number and got it fixed in a half hour.

If SpeakEasy really wanted to get the 'direct lines to God' phone numbers
all
they would have had to do is call their Verizon sales rep and ask for them.
That's
what we did, and SpeakEasy is a hell of a lot bigger than us, and would have
lot more pull so I cannot imagine Verizon telling them to kiss off.

Qwest works the same way as well.  They have one set of tech numbers for
the general public and another set for the ISP's that know how to work the
system, and a byzantine automated voicemessage call response computer
behind those to try to block the plebians from getting to a human being.
And, they are always changing the secret numbers to new numbers,
you just got to know how they work internally to know who to ask for the
new numbers.

The real reason that SpeakEasy didn't bother forcing the issue for your
customer
is that they themselves don't do troubleshooting that way - they have their
own
CYA trouble ticket system and they aren't going to let their support techs
deviate
from some printed up flow chart on how to fix a DSL line.

And one other thing, as you yourself pointed out, your law firm
customer -didn't-
cancel their DSL lne and install a T1 even though they have a server at
their office.
So, clearly, they were willing in the long run to deal with a week of
downtime,
thus the OP ought to be able to do so as well.

We have a saying in the US - money talks, bullshit walks.  Your law firm
wasn't
willing to pay for a reliable connection that is why they didn't have a T1
to start
with.  Speakeasy's support techs knew this when the law firm called in, and
probably
were laughing their asses off when they were threatened with lawsuits.
Yeah, like
a law firm is really going to drop $5K on a lawsuit over a frigging $50 a
month
DSL line.

> I think the OP just wanted a box to tinker with (I would still recommend
> johncomanies.com as an option), so uptime may not be a huge issue.  I just
> thought I would share the lesson I learned that although they call it
> Business DSL, give you a static IP and charge you 5x the price for the
same
> speeds, it doesn't always guarantee the same reliability that a T1 or colo
> facility will have.

I agree with you there, but as I said, there's no technical reason a DSL
line can't
be made as reliable as a T1 or colo.  There are marketing reasons.  One of
the
biggest is that if a DSL customer could call a knowledgeable tech instead of
some
minimum wage guy at a call center who just punches in the numbers to a
ticket
system, and actually get a problem fixed as quickly as they could get a T1
problem
fixed, then nobody would buy T1s and the telcos would lose tons of money.

BUT, if the customer is very knowledgeable, and has an ISP that is small
enough
to be nimble and knows how to dance with the elephants without being stepped
on,
why then you can do a lot with DSL.

I might also add that in MOST of the more modern T1 DSL circuits, the NIU
card
that it at the customer site (which is owned by the Telco) that your DSU/CSU
plugs
into, is connected to the CO by - you guessed it- DSL.  The actual T1
circuit
only exists for the 10-15 feet from your DSU to the NIU card at the telco
demarc
at the customer site.  It has been probably 15 years since I've actually had
to set the
line build out on a CSU to more than 100 feet to bring up a T1.  The reason
telcos
went to DSL for backhauling T1's is that it only takes a single wire pair.
(although
the DSL that they use for backhauling T1s is HDSL with repeaters and all of
that)

Ted