Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 96 09:48:12
From:      GreggD@CaddMicro.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting from sd1 at BIOS Drive 0

     I have a P133 system from Iwill (Quick Technologies)
     The M-Board has an Adaptec 2940 integrated.
     In the SCSI Select BIOS utility, it will let me select the SCSI ID of
     the primary drive (BIOS 0)
     I have a 1GB Seagate Hawk at ID0 (Windows/Windows NT WS 4.0b)
     I have a 2GB Seagate Barracuda at ID1 (FreeBSD 2.2 960801-SNAP)
     When installing, the Barracuda was the BIOS 0 bootable drive, and
     sysinstall put a bootblock on this device correctly...sort of....
     The only problem is, if I neglect to type "0:sd(1,a)/kernel" at the
     "Boot:" prompt, the system understandably panics when trying to mount
     / on sd(0,a).

     I've tried a coupla things with the bootcode in
     /sys/i386/boot/biosboot, but the documentation in the readmes and in
     the makefile are all oriented to making it easy to boot from sd0 as
     BIOS disk 1 (after a wd drive or two....)

     Nothing I've found talks about booting from sd1 as BIOS disk 0.

     Any suggestions?

     TIA

     -Gregg Discenza
     CADD Microsystems, Inc.