Date:      14 Mar 2003 17:14:19 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   GDM versus fontconfig and XFree86 4.3

OK, I have been fighting this for 3 days now.  I went through the pain
of upgrading to 4.3 and hopefully rooting out all of the extra Xft and
fontconfig clutter on my disk, but I cannot get gdm2 to operate.  After
much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I have finally driven out
the last of the Xft2 bugs and gotten rid of all of the old font-cache-1
files, but gdm refuses to start.

I can use startx just fine to start up gnome-session, but gdm just
plain  refuses to start.  I cannot get anything meaningful out of the
debugging output other than it appears that it is the greeter which is
dying.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  How do I get more info from gdm?

/Joe