Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:39:23 -0500
From:      Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   firewall

Hi,
I have set up a simple firewall for my home network and it seems to
be working fine.

I do run samba to file share with the other computers on my network.
I recently had my IP caned for a security and it came back with the
following info.

137  udp  netbios-ns  </securitytest/images/caution.gif>  open or
filtered  Windows 9x and Windows NT use this port to locate other
systems on the network with NetBIOS name lookups. Windows NT may also
use this port for a logon sequence, and other login security related
processes. Leaving this port open may allow an intruder to find an
entire list of computers in your workgroup.

138  udp  netbios-dgm  </securitytest/images/caution.gif> open or
filtered  Windows 9x and Windows NT uses this port to locate other
systems on the network and allow users to browse folders and printers
on this computer. Windows may also use this port for NetLogin
sequences and NT Directory replication. Leaving this port open may
allow an intruder to find an entire list of computers in your
workgroup.

These two ports 137 nad 138. Can they be blocked and still be able to
run samba?

Thanks
Rick
--