Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:57:29 +0400
From:      Michael <misha@onet.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAC Biba policy. High marked process can't write to high marked file.

Hello, hackers.

First of all have to apologize for english, sorry.

I was playing with Mandatory Access Control, all have been done like it
described in handbook: I have added
'insecure' class with "label=partition/13,mls/5,biba/low". Then created
'mactest' user and placed it there. I have
turned on multilable support on /usr FS. All MAC policies are loaded at
boot time from /boot/loader.conf.
But I come into collision with problem. According to man page
(mac_biba(4)), no write up and no read down
allowed. If object and subject have equal (high and high, or low and
low) markers it means "as Biba protections
were not in place." Some of my testings goes below, and I have stumbled
at writing high->high (it gives me "permission denied").
Low->low works perfect. The question is: what I'm doing wrong? Is it
just misunderstanding of handbook or something else?

%getfmac test
test: biba/high,mls/equal               # Make sure, that MLS won't
bother us
%setfmac biba/low test
%setpmac biba/high echo 1 > test        # 'high' can write to 'low'...
%setpmac biba/high cat test
cat: test: Permission denied            # ...but can't read (o.k.)
%setpmac biba/low cat test              # equal levels (low and low) can
do everything
1
%setpmac biba/low echo 1 >> test
%setpmac biba/low cat test              # it either can write to file
1
1
%setfmac biba/high test                 # set to file 'high' ticket
%setpmac biba/high echo 1 >> test       # bah!
test: Permission denied.

%setpmac biba/high ls -lZ test
-rw-r--r--  1 mactest  wheel  biba/high,mls/equal 4 Aug 21 16:30 test