Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 96 22:46:05 EST
From:      Robert Howard <rhoward@kryten.WOC.ATINC.COM>
To:        FreeBASD <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IDE CDROM support

First, I will applogize if I directed this e-mail to the wrong place.  =
If so I would beg
your indulgence and ask that it please be redirected as appropriate.

I have recently purchased the FreeBSD release 2.1.5 on CDROM.  I am tryin=
g to
upgrade a release 2.1, and had hoped that I might be able to do so using =
the
SoundBlaster Card and CDROM installed on my machine.  I was never able =
to do
this with the 2.1 release, though I was getting advice from a lot of peop=
le, including
John Bressler.

First, I could not find either the atapi.flp or the atapiflp.bat files =
on the CDROM.  I
performed a search of the entire CDROM after not finding them in the dire=
ctory
called out in The Complete FreeBSD book.  I can think of a number of good
reasons why they might not be on the CDROM.  I also checked the down-load
sites, and the files do not appear to be there either.  I would appreciat=
e any
guidance you might be able to give me on how to proceed.

As the book indicated that it might be useful to you, the following is =
a description
of the problems I have had in trying to get the CDROM to play on release =
2.1:

I have rebuilt the kerrnel half a dozen times or more following both the =
directions
in the "handbook" and variations that I got when I enlisted local experts=
.  I have the
CDROM board on IRQ 15.  The CDROM drive has is in the slave configuration
When I attempt to mount it using either "mount" or "mount_9660" I receive=
 the
error message:
	"device not configured"
This occurs whether there is a CD in the drive or not.  If additional inf=
ormation
would be of value please let me know.  If you need it I will pull serial =
numbers
off the card and drives.  One thing is certain -- my next system will be =
SCSII.  Even
without the problems I have had with the CDROM, the performance differenc=
es
will be worth the added cost.

Respectfully,

Robert J. Howard